Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Thank Goodness for the Garden

Well, it happened.  After our annual trips to the doctors, both Wonderful Hubby and I were told those dreaded words, "At your age, you might consider losing a little weight."  We decided to go on the Weight Watchers diet together.  If you know anything about this eating plan you know every item you put in your mouth is given a point value.  At the beginning, depending on your current weight, you are given a point goal for each day and even some 'cheating' points for times when you want or need to deviate from the plan.  Vegetables and fruits, for the most part, are FREE = 0 points!!

Yesterday began week 2 of this weight loss adventure and I think we are settling into a rhythm.  I really like to cook and all last week I felt out of my element.  But after seeking out recipes on the WW website and the internet, I think I'm ready to do this.

This morning I went out to the garden.  We were gone this weekend and I hadn't been there in several days.  What a delicious surprise!!  LOTS OF ZERO POINTS greeted me!!!


 
Green beans, cabbage, tomatoes, zucchini and LOTS of cucumbers!!!!   We shall not starve on this diet!!
 
 
 
We also have several other veggies waiting in the wings.....
 
 
In a few days/weeks we should also be enjoying: 
 
 
OKRA!




Red and Yellow Peppers!  They need to ripen up.




Squash! (I planted butternut squash so I hope that's what this ripens into!)




Sweet Corn!!!! (Ok, I know that's a point or two ..... without the butter .... but who can resist it??)






We also have a lot more green beans to harvest!  I've already canned some for winter.





Yes, that's a live trap to the left.  The squirrels are making unwanted visits.  They need to be moved some place else! 



My tomato plants didn't get in this round of pictures.  They are in the back of the garden and I was running out of battery.  They have quite a few green ones on the vine with more blooms! 



I'm so thankful our weather has been good this year.  Last year was extremely HOT and DRY!  We had to water and tomatoes were about all we harvested.   This year the garden has had plenty of moisture and the compost from the rabbits we raise has really helped. 


I will try to update you on our progress and, if I happen upon some REALLY tasty recipes, I'll share them with you.  Who cares if they're healthy, as long as they are tasty!!!

Have a great week!

 
 
Linking to:
 


6 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Wow your garden is amazing. Thanks so much for the tour and for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Simply Suzannes at Home said...

Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

Dear Lady of the Manor,
Your garden is beautiful! I wish I had the space to grow vegetables.
Thanks for stopping by neck of the woods. Hope you come by again soon.
Have a great week,
Suzanne

My Garden Diaries said...

What a gorgeous harvest you have!!!! All of those beautiful vegetables!!! And we have a few squirrels to move as well...HA! Good luck with your weight loss adventure! Great blog you have here...I'm a new follower!!! Nicole

Martha said...

Lovely garden! And yes, ALL those veggies are zero! I love summer and the fresh vegetables!

Rosemary and Thyme said...

This is an amazing garden. Those vegetables are beautiful.

Rosemary and Thyme said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.