Friday, October 18, 2013

Curried Apple and Butternut Squash Soup

 
Our Facebook Cookbook Club's October challenge was using a recipe from the website Justapinch.com.  I had never heard of this site before but I've certainly got it bookmarked now!! 
 
 
Since I love making soup as the weather cools, I perused that section first.  I was able to raise a few butternut squash in my garden and wanted to use them so when I came across this recipe, I wanted to give it a try.  Wonderful Hubby and I are glad I did!


Curried Apple Butternut Squash Soup
added by Marsha Gardner
Maybe you want a soup that’s a little sweet, one that will fool your tastebuds into thinking that they’re getting away with something. That something, my friends, is curried apple and butternut squash soup. If fall could be cooked and blended into a soup, it'd certainly be this one.
Ingredients
5 lb butternut squash
4-5 gala apples
4 c yellow onion, chopped
2 Tbsp butter, unsalted
2 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
2 Tbsp curry powder
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 c water
2 c apple juice or apple cider
Directions
1. Warm the butter, olive oil, onions, and curry powder in a large uncovered stockpot over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until the onions are tender. Stir occasionally and scrape the bottom of the pot to keep the onions from sticking. Peel and cut up the apples and squash into smallish cubes.
2. Add the squash, apples, salt, pepper, and water to the stockpot. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 to 40 minutes over low heat. Transfer the cooked pre-soup into a blender or food processor to puree. You’ll have to do this in batches, so it will be handy to have an extra pot or bowl around to use as you blend. Don’t be tempted to use an immersion blender; the squash will be too strong for it. Once all of the soup is blended and back in its rightful pot, slowly add the apple juice until it is the desired consistency.
3. You won’t need to add much to this soup. Just ladle it into a bowl and enjoy. It goes well with a side salad, and a crusty baguette is always helpful to soak up as much of the sweet goodness as you can.


I made half this recipe.  (Although I was able to raise some butternuts, there wasn't 5 pounds!!)  We enjoy some curry but I eased up on that spice using a scant teaspoon in the half recipe instead of 1 Tablespoon.  It worked well for us.  I also used apple cider instead of juice, because 'tis the season!!

 
 

 
Using the changes mentioned above, we really liked this soup.  It's just the right amount of 'spicy' as well as a bit of sweet.  I will certainly make it again! 
 
 
Happy Fall Eating!


Linking to:

Seasonal Sunday
Domestic Superhero


8 comments:

My Garden Diaries said...

This sounds amazing! And some of my many apples are Gala! Ha! Perfect timing friend! Thank you so much for sharing this one...the flavor combination sounds incredible!!!

xinex said...

Looks so yummy! I also love your plates.....Christine

xinex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

Yum, that looks pretty appetizing! I am going to try this recipe this week. Hoping my teens will eat it. I know my hubby will. Thanks!

The Tablescaper said...

Oh, this sounds lovely.

You're always welcome at Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Jacqueline said...

One of my absolute favorites! This looks so beautiful and comforting! Just the perfect dish for fall!

Candy S said...

Your recipe sounds so good and looks wonderful. I love the china that you have served the soup in and I really like the plaid runner with the beautiful fall color. So perfect for Seasonal Sundays.... Candy

Diane said...

Oh my, that looks wonderful. Love the placesetting, I happen to have the same pattern.....very Fall! Diane