Thursday, May 1, 2014

April 2014

 Wow!  May is already here!  At the end of this month I will be celebrating my One-Year Anniversary of my retirement!!  What a busy and fun year it's been!  I've really enjoyed challenging myself to learn some new things.  I can't believe it's almost been a whole year!!
 
 
April has been a cool and wet month but I have managed to put in some garden and it's starting to come up.  We've had some projects and activities as well.  Here's what we've been up to:
 
 
During Lent, I challenged myself to post something on Facebook each day for which I was thankful.  I'm not a big FB poster so that, in itself was a challenge.  I thought finding something to be thankful for each day would be more difficult as the days went on but it was really a lot of fun.  I looked forward to what God would show me each day and actually enjoyed sharing many of those moments with my FB friends.
 
Here are couple of my favorites.
 
Our pretty Jewel.  She's our oldest border collie at 14 and hates getting her picture taken.  I had to be sneaky to get this one. 
 
   
 
This was a beautiful sunrise outside our front door.
 
s
 
And it's always a joy to spend time with our kids.
 
 
 
 
 
 
We had a great time on Palm Sunday (at my brother and sister-in-law's home).
 
 
 
Enjoying a feast and then hunting Easter eggs, inside this year due to rainy weather.  Note the action shot!
 
 
 
 
And lots of fun at Jerry's mom's home Easter Sunday. 
 
 
 
 Andy found the Golden Egg this year!!
 
 
 
 
 
I did a little tablescaping for Easter.
 
These panorama Easter eggs were made by my sister-in-law for the kids many years ago .  We've been able to keep them safe and love displaying them each year.  Aren't they pretty?!
 
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I tried a few new recipes this month.  This one was a nice surprise!  The blueberry tart recipe was from Tricia at her "Under Lock and Key" blog and included almond flour.  I had picked up some of this the last time we were at the Soulard Market and was excited to get to try it.  We really enjoy this tart.  The almond flour gave it a nice, earthy texture but it was still pretty rich.
 


I also featured Wonderful Hubby's and Precious Daughter's favorite Salmon Dip as the April 'Friday Night Specials' recipe.  This is a dip that's super easy and is better if made ahead of time. 
 
 
 
Even though the weather around here was a bit cool and wet, I still managed to get out in the garden. 
 
Here are some of my herbs for the back porch.
 
 
 
 I tried something new - a Salad Garden.  You can read more about how I made it here.  It turned out pretty well and am anxious to have our first salad from it this week!
 
 
 
Here are a few more shots from our yard.
 


 
 
 
 
 
I just love spring!!!  You can see more of the post from Floral Friday here.
 
 
Wonderful Hubby has been busy this month, too.  He's been working first shift for several months now.  We've enjoyed him being home in the evening until turkey season started.  It dawned on him that first shift is cutting into his hunting activities!  He has taken a few vacation days to get more time in and it's paid off for him.  Here was the turkey he took at the beginning of turkey season!
 
 
 
 
 
He has also been busy in the evenings working on his new (to him) dirt scoop.  There have been several things needing to be redone and it's taken him several months but it's now fixed and ready to get to work!
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
I've finished another patchwork quilt top this month but need to add the border.  That will be for show and tell next month!  I purchased this fabric (precut and called a "Layer Cake") at the Missouri Star Quilt Company in Hamilton, MO back in January. 

 

 
 
The last weekend of April, the Master Gardeners had their annual plant sale and we did very well!  Here are a few photos of our offerings.
 











 
We've had another fun and busy month!  I enjoy putting these monthly posts together.  It's a little like scrapbooking but so much easier!! 
 
We have several activities planned and will be sharing those next month!
 
Enjoy your May and let us know what you've been up to!
 
Zenda
 
 
 
Linking to SHOW US YOUR APRIL





 









6 comments:

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Looks like a great month!

trishie said...

So many lovely things to be thankful for. Jewel is a beautiful dog, am glad you managed to sneak a pic of her.

Also very happy to see you tried my blueberry tart recipe! Looks great. Glad you enjoyed it.

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I'm so happy you linked up with us! I thoroughly enjoyed your post -- some spectacular shots! Happy May!

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

This was alot of fun to read and view : )

My Garden Diaries said...

Look at your April!!!! My goodness you have been busy friend!! That Easter table is stunning!!! And those eggs are gorgeous! And I love your blooms in your garden....if only I lived closer....I would have come to your plant sale! Sounds like a blast! Best wishes for May you!! Happy week!!! Nicole xoxo

Creations By Cindy said...

Awe...enjoyed this post so much! Love looking at all your pics! Hugs and blessings, Cindy