Sunday, March 8, 2015

St. Patrick's Dinner

I'm joining Cuisine Kathleen for her annual St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl and I've mixed old and new dishes to set a table for some yummy Irish Stew.

 The salad plates, water glasses and dessert dishes are vintage items I've picked up at resale shops.
 The rest are from Home Goods, Old Time Pottery and Dollar Tree.
 These bowls are perfect for a generous portion of Irish Stew.



I am SO ready for Spring!  These tulips make my heart happy each time I walk past them!
Wonderful Hubby said this recipe was an absolute keeper!
I found it at allrecipes.com but I had to tweak it a bit.
DARK ALE IRISH STEW
I used
  2 lbs. of chuck roast, cut into half inch cubes
  2-3 Tablespoons 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

  1 Teaspoon salt and black pepper, or to taste



  2 pinches of cayenne pepper

  1/4 cup olive oil

  1 yellow onions, chopped

  2 cloves garlic, crushed
  2 Tablespoons tomato paste
  Enough water to dilute tomato paste
        1 twelve ounce (12 oz) bottle of dark ale, divided               
  2 sprigs of fresh thyme
  3 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
  4 carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
  1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley for garnish


  • Whisk the flour, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper in a bowl and dredge the meat to coat evenly.
  • Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat; cook and stir coated beef cubes, working in batches, until beef is browned on all sides, 5 to 10 minutes.  Transfer to a dish and keep warm.
  • Cook and stir onions and garlic in the same pot used for browning beef until lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes
  • Stir tomato paste with enough water to partially dilute; pour into onion mixture. Stir to blend. Reduce heat to medium, cover Dutch oven, and simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Pour half the dark ale into the onion mixture, and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the browned beef and any remaining juices. Pour remaining half of ale into beef mixture; add the thyme.  (I tied the thyme sprigs together so they could be easily removed later.)
  • Cover Dutch oven, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 and 1/2 hours.
  • Add potatoes and carrots and simmer.  If the stew looks a bit dry, add about 1/2 cup to 1 cup beef broth so the vegetables are covered. Stir every 20 minutes, until potatoes are soft, about 1 hour. Adjust salt as needed; garnish with parsley.

This recipe serves 2.



Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Linking to:


17 comments:

Charla said...

I love the green. Maybe it will bring on Spring! Your recipe looks delicious.

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Your table looks lovey and your stew looks delish! Great tribute to the Irish holiday!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Your green glassware is exquisite! Your stew looks like just the thing I need on a cold, rainy day!

bj said...

I love your pretty table..the tablecloth is perfect and the stew looks mighty goooood.
I just LOVE this party...

ellen b said...

Love the glassware and that stew looks delicious!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Wonderful and cozy table setting! Love those flowers! The Irish stew recipe is one to try. Love the pretty stemware. I have nothing in green like this...need to work on it!
Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Diane said...

What a cute tablecloth and the napkins are perfect. I do love your green glasses and the texture on the green china. The stew looks heavenly - I will have to try your recipe. Happy St. Pat's!!

Terri Steffes said...

Oh yummy! I love the green bowls. I have to give the stew a try. Have a great St. Patty's day!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful table and the stew looks great. Lovely!

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Your table is beautiful and the stew looks delish. I think my hubby would like it too. Visiting from Kathleen's crawl.

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Oh that stew looks so good!! The potatoes and gravy must be delicious! Pass me a huge bowl and let me sit at your pretty table! Linda

Candy S said...

Yum! The stew looks marvelous and I didn't have dinner tonight - can I have some? I will sing for my supper you know. Your table set in green and white with the lovely tulips is perfect for Saint Patrick's Day! Have a wonderful evening..... Candy

Rosie M. said...

What a pretty table! I LOVE your tablecloth!! You make everything work together so well and your table is warm and welcoming and a great tribute to St. Patrick! I'm absolutely making your stew!! Thanks for sharing. Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

Parsimonious Décor Darling said...

What a darling tablecloth! So cute! The food also looks yummy!

thepaintedapron.com said...

Your Irish stew looks and sounds divine! Your table of shamrocks is so pretty decked out with your beautiful glassware!
Jenna

xinex said...

What a beautiful tablescape! Love those pretty flowers too!...Christine

Marigene said...

Very festive table...the stew has me salivating!
Enjoy the weekend.