Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Gardens Are Starting To Bloom!

We've been in our new home for almost two years now and I've been busy working on gardens around the property.  Our home sits on the edge of 90 acres of farm ground.  We've had more than our fair share of weeds and wild things but I think we are starting to see some fruits of our labor. 

The first garden I put in was what I call my "Secret Garden" as it sits near the walkout door of our basement.  Few people see it, so that's why it's a "Secret."  This is the only bed that has a lot of shade so I chose to put my hostas and heurchera here.
There are also ferns, quince, lilies and iris.
Here was the quince about a month ago -
and today.  The blooms have fallen but it's leafed out nicely.  
Last year, I planted two and was worried they might not live. 
They look like they're very happy now! 

My mother had lots of irises and she shared some with me years ago. 
She really liked the bronze color.  
They aren't my favorite but they remind me of her. I kept them in a holding bed while we moved and my, how they have multiplied!  I put them in last spring and just a few bloomed.  This year there are LOTS of them!
I love these 'old fashioned' iris, as Mom called them. 
They have done well, too.
There are also white bearded iris.
Early last fall a flower bed was added in front of our house, across the circle drive.  I put in foundation plants like hydrangea, crab apple, lilac, nine bark and peony.  
Some of the 'end of the season' perennials' made it through the winter 
but I've been busy added a lot more - 
coneflowers, rudbeckia, stone crop, etc.  

The peonies were beautiful this year!
I'll be on the look out for a few different colors to add to my garden.

The last bed I'll share today is the perennial in the front.  It gets lots of sun and we've had plenty of rain lately so things have grown well. 
The pineapple sage, cat mint, scabiosa, and dianthus are blooming now.  Hopefully the garden phlox will start soon. 
If you look closely, you'll see a flying bumble bee.  They like these blooms and buzz around this bed all day long.  Here's another picture of one.
**NOTE: The fence in front is because of our 'puppy' Ranger.  
You may remember I shared  news of him last summer.  
Well, he's about grown up but still gets into mischief sometimes!  
Isn't he a big boy now?

It's so fun to read everyone's blogs and see what's outside at your homes!  Here's wishing you a beautiful week!  

Thanks for stopping by ~ Zenda






Sharing this week at Tuesdays At Our Home party













4 comments:

Kim said...

Zenda, I now know why you haven't been seen for a while. My goodness you have done such an amazing amount of work in your garden. It is looking beautiful! Your secret garden has some lovely shade plants and those Irises......so lovely. Your Peonies are gorgeous too. Your plants obviously love living with you.=) They all look so lush and green and happy. I can just imagine how beautiful your gardens will be in a few years time if today is anything to go by. You obviously have green fingers, lovely lady. Sweet Ranger has grown hasn't he. Mmm....puppies and gardens. =) Thank you for sharing your lovely garden with us.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Wow everything is growing so well! You’ve gotten a lot planted in the short time you’ve been there. How sweet to have the iris your mother loved still with you. Your pup is a big boy now! The desire to dig and chew can stay with them a good while as you know. I hope you’ll stop by and add your garden post to our Garden Party this Friday!

Creations By Cindy said...

LOVE your secret garden! How beautiful. Girl, you have been doing some work for sure. Love seeing everything in bloom. Yes, the fruits of your labor is surely paying off. Well, your puppy isn't a puppy anymore. He is so adorable. I hope you have a wonderful week dear friend. I haven't posted anything this week. It's been one of those weeks that my plate has been to full and no extra time to even pay visits to others. But....I had to see your secret garden. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Rosie M. said...

Everything looks so pretty, Zenda. I do not have a green finger at all, so I am truly impressed with all your efforts. I can't imagine how much time it took to create such lovely spaces. Thank you for sharing the "fruits of your labor". Have a wonderful spring and summer surrounded by such beauty. Rosie @ The Magic Hutch