Tuesday, November 17, 2020

A Little Space for Jack

When we built our home four years ago, there was a little square space near the basement stairs that was just right for a little playroom.  We have great nieces and nephews and I saved many of our children's toys for these little relatives to enjoy at our house.  This little playroom was pretty rough with unfinished walls and an old area rug but it gave them a fun spot to play when we hosted family gatherings.  

Now that I spend a lot of time here with our grandson, Jack, I decided to give it a little facelift.  J finished hanging drywall around the stairwell, I taped, primed and painted all of the walls.  I'm not a professional and it's not perfect but I was going for 'better' not perfect.  :)  I forgot to take pictures before we got to the drywall phase but here are some rough before and after photos.  I also primed and painted the concrete walls. The chalkboard is one from my childhood home.  It is an antique slate board my dad brought home after helping demolish an old 
schoolhouse in our hometown.

After priming and painting -


To cover the concrete floors, I ordered a new 8 foot by 10 foot area rug. (Home Depot: Sophia Salle Garnier Gray)   Since the room is a bit bigger than that, I decided to paint the floor the same color as the walls.  (Leftover paint from our bathrooms - Nuance by Sherwin Williams).  I am consider sealing the paint but it's holding up pretty well for now.  
With the addition of the area rug, it looks much better!  
Jack really likes it and that makes this Grammy happy!

We added some tractor and construction equipment decals for the walls at Jack's height.  
Just a few for now.  I'm looking for some posters to frame.  

This little room is starting to look nice and cozy.  
It has lots of fun play space for Jack and his grandparents!

Thanks for stopping!  

Zenda




3 comments:

Kim said...

Just look at your adorable little Jack playing in his new room where he is surrounded by childish delight and toys that will encourage happy play where many a beautiful memory will swirl around and around. You have done a fabulous job, Zenda, with all your hard work to transform this space. I must say I love the rug and the very name of the paint "Nuance" causes me to smile. 'Tis the perfect colour, too. Why I would love to sit awhile there and play 'construction worker' and doll houses. I can see many happy hours of both you and Jack riding that 'magic carpet' into the land of make believe. Why, can I come, too. =)

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh my mercy! It's a perfect play room for little Jack. I bet he is one happy little boy too! Love it. I have a play room at home too. Of course now my littles are the only ones that play in there. They range from 2-16 years old now! Mercy. Time flies. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

How cute is this! Little Jack is really growing up! I bet he loves to play in there. Good job on fixing the area up!