Wednesday, June 23, 2021

A Bit of Summertime and Some Sad News

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

To My Email Subscribers:  Beginning July 1, 2021 the Blogger subscription service will be turned off.  Therefore, you will no longer receive emails when a new post is published Here at "She's Lady of the Manor."  I am suggesting an alternative - Bloglovin'.  If you subscribe to She's Lady of the Manor there, you will receive emails when a new post is published.  You can sign up by clicking on the word Bloglovin' in blue above then click 'Find Blogs' and type "She's Lady of the Manor" in the search bar.  Click on my blog and then click "Follow."  It's that simple!  I hope you will use this alternative and continue to visit me! 


This has been a busy month.  I've spent quite a bit of time in the gardens.  Some of the veggies have started coming in.  The lettuces have been lovely and we've enjoyed some beets.  The peas are finished for the season but I'll be planting some for fall later in the summer.  Our green beans have just started to bear and Little Jack got to eat our first yellow cherry tomato!  J is grilling (pork steaks below) on the back porch!  Oh, summer is in full swing!


Jack and I visited my aunt recently.  She knew he loves tractors and other 'equipment' and bought him a little green tractor.  He was so enthralled with it that he held it all the way home along with his excavator!  Boys and their toys!

Earlier this month, I gave a presentation on some of my family history as part of the local historical society's Cemetery Tour.  They hold this every year or two to raise money and share some of our local history with the public.  There were six different stations with different stories at each gravesite.  This is the second time I've been asked to share.  Apparently, I made the local newspaper this time.
My great grandmother (pictured with her husband in the oval photo) lost her husband and two sons who worked the family farm within 5 years just as the depression hit (1932).  She was a savy business woman and was able to help her 2 daughters-in-law and 7 grandchildren through these trying years.  I'm fortunate to have the family photos and stories my dad (one of the grandchildren) told us.  It was interesting doing the research to verify all of his stories!  I has able to find death certificates, old plat maps and census records.  Writing one's genealogy in a narrative form helps bring ancestors to life.  You can better understand their tragedies and their triumphs.

Our DAR chapter enjoyed a Tea in one of our lovely historic gardens.  What a wonderful way to welcome summer and start meeting together again!  One of our ladies is quite the baker and shared her talents providing lots of delicious snacks!

I end on a sad note.  Our Sallie had an accident this past weekend and we had to have her put down.  Our hearts are very sad as she blessed us with her sweet self for 13 years.  Pepper is lost without her big sister.
This is how I'll remember her with her sweet smile and always being with J.  She loved being in the farm equipment!

Thanks for stopping by and sharing a bit of our world.  I'm wishing each of you a blessed week!  Stay safe and healthy!

Zenda

6 comments:

Kim said...

Zenda, I am so sorry your sweet Sallie had to be put down. What an adorable face and smile she had. You will miss her. Your veggies are reaping a fabulous harvest. How lovely you have been able to get out and about at your functions and catch up with your friends. A genealogy told with narratives threaded throughout is always interesting. Take care, lovely Zenda. Sending you a very big hug. Xx

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh those treats, pork steak and etc. are making me hungry this morning and I'm sipping on coffee right now! LOL! But, I have been known to eat a bowl of mac and cheese with my coffee. Love the pictures. I've not dabbled in blog loving much but just tried it and I think I followed you. I also can be found on blog loving. I hate changes being made. About the time I get to used to one way then we gotta change. LOL! Hope your weekend is wonderful dear lady. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Shannon@Belle Bleu Interiors said...

Zenda, I’m so very sorry for the loss of your precious, Sallie. I know how very heartbreaking that can be. I know you treasure all the sweet memories of her that you carry in your in your heart. Jack is absolutely precious! I remember when my boys were that little. They are so much fun! I enjoyed reading about all your adventures this morning. I enjoy genealogy, too. It is so interesting to learn about our ancestors. Happy Summer, and enjoy your weekend, sweet friend!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

It's good that you are directing people to follow you on Bloglovin. It's too bad about all of the changes to blogger.
Your gardens look so nice and great that you got some veggies. I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your dog.
Take care and be well Zenda.

Alycia Nichols said...

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so, so very sorry about your no doubt VERY painful loss. Oh, my goodness. Just when I was feeling all warm and fuzzy about the ancestry story, then 🤯!!! Gosh, I know how sad it can be. I feel for you guys. Happy for the 13 years of love and wet kisses, but so very sad they are no longer yours for the taking. They are, I know, deep in your memories, though. Golly. I just hate this! We have a beloved pup and know it would break our hearts a million times over.☹️

Congratulations on your “Extra! Extra! Read all about it!” news coverage. That’s pretty cool! I think we’ve discussed it before that I have been to Troy many times as a child when we would visit my paternal grandparents in Sabetha and my uncle and his family in Oneida. Most of the family is in Bern now.I’ve not been to Bern in at least 15 years.

Hooray for your garden, and hooray for summer fun! Again, I am so sorry about sweet Miss Sallie. Take care, and have the best weekend you can.

Joy said...

I'm so sorry about Sallie. It leaves a great big hole, doesn't it?
The garden is looking fantastic.
xx