Monday, March 27, 2017

Orchid Show at Shaw's Gardens

My dear mother-in-law's birthday is this week and she loves orchids.  She has several and is always so excited when when they bloom.  Instead of buying her another beautiful plant this year, we decided she might enjoy going to see the Orchid Show at the Missouri Botanical Garden (Shaw's Gardens) in St. Louis.  

I had no idea there was such a wide variety of orchids!  Some were tiny, some were huge, some looked like delicate spiders, some looked like bearded irises. Some even looked like dancing ladies! They were simply stunning!

(Warning: This post is LONG on photos.)

I know this was a long post but what a feast for the eyes!  These were all vanilla producing orchids and the exhibit included plackards that shared information about how the beans are collected and the vanilla is produced.  There was also information about how these plants were propagated.  It was all very enjoyable.  

I hope this post made you smile!  Have a wonderful week!


Linking to:

Amaze Me Monday
Dishing It and Digging It 
Tuesdays At Our Home
Make It Pretty Monday
Tuesdays With a Twist
The Scoop
Share Your Cup Thursday





10 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

What an amazing birthday gift! Just seeing the photos is incredible so I can only imagine how wonderful it must have been to see them in person.

Bernideen said...

Wow - these photos of the orchids are so beautiful. I have to tell you I killed them for years. I would get a big one at the grocery and looking back, I think I watered it silly. I bought one at Sam's Club last year about this time. It said to put 3 ice cube's in the pot once a week. I have done that and now it is blooming for the SECOND time so I didn't kill it!
What a lovely day for you and your Mother in Law!!!

Catherine said...

What fantastic variety in shape and colour! The only thing they lack though is perfume. It looks like you had a fantastic day out with your Mum.

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

My baby is going to college in Olk. I am crying already! My grands that keep so much

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh I loved looking st the pictures . So very beautiful . Amazing st how our Lord created such beauty . Hugs and blessings , Cindy

Annesphamily said...

Wow! The orchids are gorgeous.Years ago I worked with doctor who raised orchids and I learned about all the different varieties. They are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing today. Have a beautiful week. HUGS

Kim said...

Be still my beating heart! What a most gorgeous place to visit AND what a sublime birthday gift for your mother-in-law, to see all these glorious orchids in flower. Strolling through your amazing parade of orchids has truly been a feast for the eyes. I cannot choose a favourite as all are perfectly beautiful. Such a magical place to visit!

Unknown said...

You have some really nice shots here! Fun to look at; thank you.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Wow- isn't it amazing how many varieties there are! I enjoyed seeing these pictures.

Mary K. said...

Nature is the best artist around, we can only poorly imitate what God creates.