Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pretty In Purple

 
 
Sometimes this tablescaping hobby is a real creative evolution.  I've drawn this setting's inspiration from ideas and suggestions of several bloggers I follow. 
I just love reading their posts!  They have such great ideas, beautiful settings and stunning photography!! 
 
Kathleen, of Cuisine Kathleen, has challenge us to set something whimsical for summer. 
 
Mary, at Home Is Where The Boat Is, includes quilts in many of her posts.  She has a lovely collection and incorporates them so beautifully. 
 
And Pat at Back Porch Musings, asked how we planned our table settings. 
 
 
Well, this setting was one that has evolved over about a month but actually just came together at the last minute.  Does that make sense?? 
Here's how it happened.
 
I'd been wanting to set an outdoor table near some of my garden flowers for awhile.  We've had quite a bit of rain lately and on the days I was free to set everything up it usually turned out to be cloudy and rainy. 
 
Late last week I finally decided to just go ahead and set up something quick to see if I could capture what I had been thinking about.  There were spotty rain showers all over the radar map but now and then
the sun would peak out.
 
 
 
I found these lavender dishes last month on my trip to the Ozarks.  The napkins were acquired on my trip to Amish Country last month, too.  I had been storing them in the spare bedroom/Precious Daughter's room.  I had set them on the bed which has one of my grandmother's old quilts.  I had never thought of using the quilt as a tablecloth but when I ran up to get the dishes, I saw them sitting together.  So I grabbed it, too.  The birdcage floral arrangement from that room also came outside.
 
I set a simple table and even though it sprinkled a bit while I was photographing (and I had to do a little photo editing), I was pretty pleased with the outcome.  If I'd had longer, I would have added a few more elements to the table and a few pillows on the chairs. 
 

 
 
 
 
 
This little setting was one of those happy surprises!  Who knew? Sometimes, you just have to take a chance, grab a few things, and run out into the rain!! 
 
 
I'm so glad you stopped by for a visit!!  Please visit the other participants linking to these great parties:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

19 comments:

My Garden Diaries said...

That table is beautiful friend! I have the chills! It is out of a fairytale! And that backdrop with the wagon wheel and the flowers and the shutters is just amazing! You nailed it! The colors and everything! I just wish I could sit there and drink some lemonade!!! Happy week to you! Nicole xoxo

Creations By Cindy said...

I adore your table with the purple. The quilt is so pretty too on the table. I keep saying, I am going to fix me up a little table by my fishing pond and plants but haven't gotten around to it. Maybe this is my inspiration! Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

That quilt is stunning, and how pretty your dishes and napkins look with it. I'd love to have a summer meal here. laurie

Beeutiful by Design said...

The quilt is wonderful I love how Mary does her quilts too! Your table is so pretty!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Your quilt is just stunning as your table covering and the birdcage adds the perfect touch of whimsy.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Wow that quilt is so vibrant with color! The floral display is so pretty and the napkins and dishes all look beautiful!

Sarah said...

Pretty quilt and table setting. Thanks for sharing.

Tea in Texas said...

Your creation is gorgeous! I love your use of the purple quilt as the tablecloth is perfect. The lavender china and flowered napkins just speak summertime eating outdoors! The sweet birdcage centerpiece is lovely and your last minute table with the great planning is great!
Have a wonderful week!

Pam

Marigene said...

Beautiful quilt...and table. I really like seeing shades of purple used in tablescapes. The plates are so pretty.
Have a wonderful week.

Ann @ Corner of Plaid and Paisley said...

Love, love love that purple quilt in front of your garden, that is such a striking setting. The shade of purple looks rich against the green and your napkins are the perfect compliment!

Cathy said...

I so love quilts, but like you have not used one for a table setting. Purple has really caught my eye lately so guess I better put that on my list for my next shopping trip. What a great area for your table setting. Glad the rain held off for you to share that beautiful quilt.

Cathy <;)

Alycia Nichols said...

So YOU'RE the person who got the last of those lavender dishes!!! :-) I bought some from the clearance rack at Home Goods last month and am one salad plate short. I've been searching every TJ Maxx, Home Goods and Marshall's here in the Kansas City area in search of it. I've not been up north yet. I have every confidence it'll turn up soon!

I'm glad you had the inspiration to just get out there and dodge the raindrops. We've had so much doggone rain around here that it was a valiant effort on your part to even try! Even with the last couple of days of warm, windy weather (although we did get a couple of brief downpours today), the grass is still squishy.

I've started tablescaping with quilts, too. They're wonderful, aren't they? So easy care, they flow so nicely, and the patterns they come in lend themselves to beautiful tablescapes every time. I really, really, REALLY like the design of yours. It's very bold but still has an innocence about it simply because it is a quilt. Lovely!

I hope you're hanging in there OK with all this humidity! Take care, and enjoy your weekend! (Visiting from Cuisine Kathleen's summer challenge)

The Tablescaper said...

Love those lavender plates. So pretty!

- The Tablescaper

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Beautiful table. Love the purple quilt and use of purple. Beautiful napkins and the wagon wheel and flowers are perfect.

Babs said...

Great tablescape and quilt, and such a cheerful color. I like the outdoor setting, too.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Gorgeous vintage quilt! Glad that the weather held out long enough for you to set this pretty table. I love using quilts for tablecloths. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Love the table and the quilt! :)

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Really beautiful, I love quilts and I have none now, when my girls were Young I had, now they have them, lol! The setting al fresco is gorgeous, specially the lovely lavender plates.
Have a happy summer.
FABBY

Entertaining Women said...

Sometimes those serendipitous moment yield the most pleasing results. Your table is beautiful...it sparkles against your garden. Thanks for inviting us for a peek. Cherry Kay