Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Tomato Crostinis with Whipped Feta

Last month was such a busy month, I forgot to post a recipe from one of our Friday Night Specials!   Like I mentioned earlier,
I'm really loving this retirement!
 
 
Tomato Crostini with Whipped Feta
  
I saw Ina Garten make these crostinis on one of her Barefoot Contessa shows and thought they looked easy.  Wonderful Hubby likes feta cheese (more than I do) and I thought he'd enjoy these after a hard work week.  I was surprised how much I liked them, too!  Whipping the cheese and adding the other ingredients gives the feta a slightly different flavor.  I hope you'll try them sometime this summer.  They really are yummy!! 
 
6 oz. good feta, crumbled
2 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
2/3 cup olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 lbs cherry tomatoes, cut in half
3 tablespoons fresh basil, julienned, plus extra for garnish
20 to 25 (1/2-inch-thick) diagonal baguette slices, toasted
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
 
 
For the whipped feta, place the feta and cream cheese in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pulse until the cheeses are mixed. Add 1/3 cup of the olive oil, the lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and process until smooth.
 
For the tomatoes, up to an hour before you're serving, combine the shallots, garlic, and vinegar in a medium bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the tomatoes, stir gently, and set aside for 10 minutes. Stir in the basil and taste for seasonings.
 
To assemble the crostini spread each slice of bread with a generous amount of whipped feta. With a slotted spoon, place the tomatoes on top. Put the crostini on plates and scatter with the pine nuts. Sprinkle with extra basil and serve.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I also served these at a picnic we had recently.  They were the first to go!
 
 
 
Let me know what you've been cooking!
 
 
 
Linking to:
 
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
 
 
 

11 comments:

My Garden Diaries said...

UMMMM I am pinning this right now! They look AMAZING!!! I am so in for anything with cheese and tomatoes! Thank you lady!!! Hope you are having a good week! Nicole xo

Charla said...

They look so wonderful in your pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Creations By Cindy said...

These look so good!!!!! Pinning it now! Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Linda said...

My taste buds are working over time in anticipation! Since we really like all 3 of the main ingredients I am thinking all together has got to be delicious! Visiting from Wow Us Wed.

Kim said...

I adore feta and I have never had it whipped! This looks wonderful! I am going to pin it for sure! :)

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh, these look fabulous and with feta cheese, wow! I'm copying this for sure my friend, thank you so much for sharing! I will be cooking chicken rollatini, wild rice, a black bean salad hubby loves, but first I will make tamales for an antree... not the Mexican kind, ours are fabulous! Happy FD's weekend.
FABBY

FABBY'S LIVING said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
FABBY'S LIVING said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

mmm this looks yummy! And so colorful too! Thanks for sharing the recipe...gotta pin it!~hugs, Poppy

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I love feta and these look simply delicious! Pinned. Thanks for sharing them with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I love feta and these look simply delicious! Pinned. Thanks for sharing them with SYC.
hugs,
Jann