Monday, August 4, 2014

Delicious Marinara

My tomatoes have been coming in and I've been busy 
making marinara.


I found this recipe last summer at Fashionably Foodie and made several batches for the freezer.  It was so tasty, my family asked for more.  I've tweaked the recipe and use whatever tomatoes I have on hand.  Above are some of my Better Boys and below are some plum tomatoes.


I'll admit, I like the big tomatoes better as they are easier to seed (or deseed) but both types are delicious in this recipe. 
Just be sure you use HOME GROWN tomatoes!



Fresh Tomato Marinara Sauce

9-10 big garden tomatoes, or 15-20 romas (about 5 lbs.)
1 medium sized onion, chopped
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 bay leaf
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

Drop half of the tomatoes into boiling water in a big stockpot and boil for about 2 minutes.   Remove to a big bowl of ice water.  Repeat with the other half of the tomatoes.  Empty the water out of the stockpot to use for sauce.   Set aside.

Chop the onion.   Preheat the oil in the stockpot. Drop the onion in the oil and soften for 5 minutes over medium heat.

Peel the skins off of the tomatoes; they should slide right off after you break the skin.  Cut out cores and take out most of the seeds.  (Simply run your thumb around the inside of the tomatoes.   Most of the seeds will loosen and fall out.)  Cut tomatoes into big 2-3 inch chunks.

Drop the tomatoes into the pot with the onions.   Add in all of the tomatoes, the garlic and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil.  Hard simmer for a half hour.

Add basil, oregano, salt, and sugar.  Adjust seasonings to taste. (It depends on your tomatoes.)

Hard simmer another half hour.  Liquid should have boiled down and reduced by about half.  

Stir in balsamic vinegar. 
 

This can be served right away or frozen in plastic bags for later.   


YUM!!!

Thanks for visiting!  Sharing at

Amaze Me Monday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Foodie Friday
Home Sweet Home
Fridays Unfolded










8 comments:

My Garden Diaries said...

Oh I can so do this one! I just made a pot this past weekend but would be interested in trying yours with sugar!!! It looks delicious as do your tomatoes! Thanks for sharing this friend and a lovely week to you! Nicole xo

Vidya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vidya said...


Thank you for sharing one of my favorite sauce! I'm going to try this out.. your recipe looks easy to follow. :) visiting you from Amaze me Monday..

Amy at love made my home said...

Your sauce sounds delicious! xx

Jessica Jarrell said...

I shared Marinara this week at Foodie Friday! LOL. Great minds think alike. I love comparing recipes, yours looks delicious!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

This looks delicious! YUM, fresh marinara!! My tomatoes have been so slow. Just barely picked my first ripe one. I usually have them coming on like crazy and pick the first ripe one around the 4th of July. I really need to bottle salsa this year, but may not happen. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

The Charm of Home said...

I am going to try this! We have a lot of tomatoes that are going to all be ripe at once! Thank you for sharing this.
Sherry

The Charm of Home said...

I will feature this today at Home Sweet Home! Thanks!