Tuesday, August 5, 2014

June and July 2014

I'm late with my monthly reviews.  June came and went; July has passed, as well.  This is an easy way to store and share my favorite photos and memories during the year.  It's a great and simple way to "scrapbook!"  So here are the highlights from these two months.

The Gardens

We've been quite blessed this summer with milder than normal temperatures and humidity for Missouri.  Both the vegetable garden and flower beds have really been loving it and so have I!
 

 
 
 

 

 
 
Tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and green beans, plus lots of herbs!

(Yes, that's a bowlful of basil in back waiting to be transformed into pesto!)

Lots of green beans turned into ...

... canned beans for winter!  (I'm up to 20 quarts and 16 pints so far.) 
 
Sweet corn from a generous neighbor!  The squirrels got most of ours.
 
Multi-tasking in the kitchen!  This has been my life the last two weeks of July!  Making marinara, canning beans, making zucchini relish, plus zucchini cakes and corn to freeze.  Oh, and let's not forget I got to pick it all first!! 
LOVE my vegetable garden!
 
 
 Tablescapes
 
I put several tables together over the last two months. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Good Eats
 

 A luscious salad from my Salad Garden!
 
Lemon Cream Tart with Fresh Berries

Panzanella with Grilled Shrimp
  
 
 
 
Zucchini Relish
 
 
Tomato Pesto and Goat Cheese Tarts
 
 Delicious Calhoun County (Illinois) Peaches!!!
 
And grillin' outdoors!
 
 
Fun Times
 
We've had a fun June and July, as well!  Favorite Son was fortunate to work as a summer field sales intern for a major seed company in our area.  He and Wonderful Hubby have enjoyed playing golf and fishing together.  Precious Daughter has been home some, too.  She brought her boyfriend along one weekend to enjoy our local county fair.  My sister, cousin and I even visited her at her house one day.
 
Some special events
 
I hosted book club in June where we reviewed the book Bitter Brew
and then had an AB beer tasting!
 
 
We hosted our friends from our local bank again but had to bring the picnic inside due to rain.  We had a great time with everyone, though!!
 
 
Several friends and I visited a local winery and a plant nursery.  (Two of my favorite places!! )  :)
 
Chandler Hill Nursery
 
 
 
These three photos were from Wine Country Gardens,
a lovely event venue.
 
I bought these tall phlox at Frisella's Nursery
 
And they found a pretty home in my lily bed.
 
 
Wonderful Hubby and I spent a few days along the Great River Road near Grafton and Elsah, Illinois
 
We enjoyed great weather, beautiful scenery and relaxing time together!
 
 
 
A Few Extra Treats
 
 

 
 

 
 
 
 
What a wonderful summer it's been so far!  We're looking forward to an Awesome August; hope you are, too!
 
 
 
Thanks for visiting!
 


7 comments:

Pondside said...

Oh my goodness but you've been busy! As I looked at your photos I'd think 'That's my favourite' and then 'I have to say that this or that looks delicious' and then there was just so much that I have to say I'd like to see/taste it all! The Goat Cheese and Pesto tarts caught my eye and so did the dessert tarts with blueberries. What a lot of energy you must have!
Thank you for your very kind comment on my post. It's always good to hear that others have been in my position.

Linda Creech said...

Your photos are absolutely gorgeous! I'm so impressed with your tablescapes. You are truly talented and I'm looking forward to following your blog.

My Garden Diaries said...

OH man! Where do I even start friend! Your summer months look like a dream! From your plentiful harvest to your stunning blooms! Just look at that basil!!! And those phlox you added are awesome! Not to mention all of the good eats....I have to zip back over those! Did you share that chocolate zucchini cake recipe?!?! I would love to try it!!! Glad you and the hubs got away and I really enjoyed your post friend with all of the beauty that surrounds you! Here is to August!!! Can you believe that?!?! Nicole xo

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Loved this recap! Gorgeous garden photos and tablescapes and wow, have you ever been a busy lady! They don't call you lady of the Manor for nothing. lol!
hugs,
Jann

Tammy said...

As usual, I enjoyed all the photos and drooled over the food. You have been working way too hard, my friend. I thought you were supposed to be retired!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Really enjoyed seeing all your pretty flowers and bounty from your garden. Lovely.
Looks like you have had a lot of fun this summer. I noticed that you and I have the same green and blue print tablecloth and the same blue glasses. Love them both..........
Those baby birds were so adorable too.
Thank you for coming by my blog and for your sweet comments. My SIL is a retired teacher as well,
going on 4 yrs, so she feels the same way you do about school, so happy it is them and not her going back.......lol
Actually, we live in Florida, but
had just visited our daughter in
Asheville, in July. That's where
the photos were from. lol

Blessings, Nellie

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Busy lady, I thought I was a busy buddy lately! Such harvest my friend, you are talented, you did a great job too. The goat cheese and pesto is making me hungry and dessert tarts...can I go to your house and play?!
Thanks for your sweet visit, you do make my day!
FABBY