Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Tomato Pesto and Goat Cheese Tarts

Here's another recipe from our Friday Night Specials.  Even though I've made these delicious Tomato Pesto and Goat Cheese Tarts for Wonderfully Hubby after a long week of work, we also enjoy picnicking and find these tarts great to take along.  They're like little pizzas but with a whole lot more flavor!  This picture was taken at Pere Marquette State Park near Alton, Illinois.



Here's how I make them.

Ingredients:
  • 1 package of Puff Pastries
  • 2 cups of yellow onions, sliced
  • Olive Oil
  • 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
  • Kosher salt and black pepper
  • 3-4 tablespoons of white wine (whatever you have on hand)
  • 2 teaspoons of minced fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 jar of store-bought tomato pesto or bruschetta sauce.  (This is thicker than tomato sauce and has more flavor.)
  • 4 oz.  goat cheese
  • Parmesan cheese, shaved
  • 3 tablespoons fresh basil, julienned

 
 
Directions:
 
Cut out the tarts from the puff pastry using a small round plate.
 

 
Place the circles on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Score a 1/4 inch border around each pastry and prick all over with a fork or knife to help the pastry puff evenly.  Refrigerate until ready to use.
 
 
Slice the onions and sauté them over low heat in 3 tablespoons of olive oil, until they are soft, caramelized and yummy!!  (about 15 -20 minutes)
 
 

Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the wine and they fresh thyme leaves and continue to cook another 10 minutes.

They will really reduce in volume.  But they will be delicious and your kitchen will smell so good!!

Spread 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons of the tomato pesto on each puff pastry round, add some of the onions,


 parmesan cheese and small dollops of goat cheese.


Bake the tarts for 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees F.  (Watch them so they don't get too brown.)

 
Add julienned fresh basil leaves and let tarts cool on a wire rack.
 
The puff pastry makes these so light and flaky!  They travel well at room temperature in a sealed plastic container ... or can be enjoyed fresh and warm!
 
What treats do you like to bring along on your picnics?
 
 
Linking to:




12 comments:

My Garden Diaries said...

These look like heaven friend!!!! I love that they are tarts and the pesto just makes me want to make them now!!! We are having a party at my moms on Sunday and I am thinking I will give these a try!!! Wishing you a fantastic Thursday! Nicole xo

Creations By Cindy said...

Looks so good! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Alison Agnew said...

These look delicious! I love the idea of using puff pastry for these. Just pinned to the Fridays Unfolded link board, and thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

Alison
Nancherrow

Crystelle said...

what a yummy hardy treat. Perfect for a Saturday brunch, yes? :)
xox, Crystelle
CrystelleBoutique

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh my, these do look delicious and what a wonderful picnic in the park! Can't wait to try them! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

deb said...

Those look delish!
Thanks for stopping by. Zapple pie is awesome! You'd never know it was zukes. The first time I made it I was so surprised I too a piece to each of my neighbors and didn't tell them it was zucchini until they were done! Boy were they shocked! LOL The great thing about Zucchini is it takes on whatever flavoring you add to it. I still need to make some Pina Colada jam, it reminds me of my Mom's Apricot Pineapple Jam she used to make. But it's good in it's own right.
Have a great day! And go make a pie! The recipe is linked in my post, just click on Zapple Pie. That will take you to my original post with the recipe and photos :)
*hugs*deb

Ginnie said...

Mmm ... these look absolutely delicious and perfect for a picnic!

xinex said...

Looks so yummy!...Christine

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Looks like I'm hungry Christine! You always have the best recipes, I love goat cheese!
Have a great week.
FABBY

The Tablescaper said...

These look fabulous!!

- The Tablescaper

thepaintedapron.com said...

Wow these look good, I just love recipes like this! Pinning to try soon!
Jenna

Unknown said...

These look so good and easy to do! I must try these on the weekend when we have friends over. thank you!