Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Summer Solstice in the Gardens

The first day of summer has just occurred but it has not felt 
like a normal Missouri summer yet.  We've had so much rain and the temperatures have remained relatively cool.  The upcoming forecast is including some HOT, HUMID weather so it seems summer will finally come waltzing in!

I'm not too excited about hot and humid weather but the vegetable garden is really needing some warm, dryer times to get going.  The squash and okra plants are just peaking their little heads above the soggy soil, after being replanted several times.  Let's hope the third time is the charm!

This post is just a little walk around our house (in my mud boots) 
to see what's blooming.  

These are some of the lilies starting to bloom as you walk down to the Secret Garden on the north side of the house.
I believe these white and maroon lilies are called Cecil.
These two different shades of yellow are pretty but I'll be adding 
several different orange lilies to this garden for next year. 
In the Secret Garden,

the hostas have filled out nicely. 

I have two Viburnum bushes a friend gifted me the year before we moved.  She said to keep them in their pots and plant them at our new place.  She was right!  They have really taken off!
 

The berm near the front of the house is also filling in.  It's planted in mostly natives and perennials.  Russian Sage, Blazing Star, Oak Leaf Hydrangea, Coneflower, Cosmos, and more!
 
Common Milkweed has become a coveted plant in our our area as it's a favorite 
egg-laying site of the Monarch Butterfly.
I've seen a couple of Monarch caterpillars this spring, sorry no pictures.  The bumble bees are sure loving them these days.  I noticed several Japanese beetles, as well.  Sure wish those bumbles would chase the beetles away.
Shasta Daisies
Blazing Star with a little honey bee on top!

This is my view on my walk to the mailbox. 
The Queen Anne's Lace, Rudbeckia, Meadow Weed, Wild Daisies and red clover are all blooming in our CRP fields 
(Crop Reduction Program, a 10-year agriculture program) 
We have planted numerous wildflowers in these areas to help the fields rejuvenate as well as attract lots of pollinators.

Here a two shots right around the house.  It's been a good spring for petunias.  I'll have to keep my eye on them as the temperature start heat up.
 What do you do with that awkward spot that's home to your satellite dish?  Make it your kitchen herb garden!  Sallie is showing off our efforts in growing parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.  
There's also lavender, oregano and lots of basil and dill!
This garden is just off our grilling porch which is right out of the kitchen door.  

YOU might see the ugly satellite dish first 
but Sallie and I see our beautiful herbs!!

I'll save the vegetable garden for next week....maybe it will look better in that time!  The raised beds are looking good, though.  

I hope you're enjoying your world whatever the season!  
Thanks for stopping by!  

Zenda 

6 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, all I see is your sweet Sallie and fabulous herbs. I also see a beautiful garden filled with the prettiest of flowers, Zenda. Your garden is overspilling with floralicious delight. I love the pretty flowers of the milkweed....common...surely not. I love the flowers which line the path to the mailbox....the getting of a bill or two would pale into insignificance, when you look at the pretty flowers and butterflies. =) Wish oh wish I could don my gum boots and take a stroll around your garden with you. Such fun that would be. In such a short amount of time your garden is blooming beautifully. If you aren't too fussed with those hot and humid days, you could send them on down here, though perhaps not the humidity. Have a beautiful day, beautiful Zenda♥

Creations By Cindy said...

Love, love, love your garden! Oh those daisies are beautiful! We've had no rain and our little veggie garden has been horrible this year! No matter how much you water it there is nothing like God's fresh water. Love your garden. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Magpie's Mumblings said...

What a great garden tour! So many beautiful flowers throughout. Out of curiosity, have you ever taken time to smell the milkweed flowers? It's surprising how much scent they have!

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Zenda, your garden is so wonderful! I love seeing all your annuals and that vibernum bush is beautiful. I have so much I want to do with our landscaping but we have to get our people here first before I make any changes. It's a mess with ancient mulch and bad brick borders. I'll be checking your posts out in the future. I see you're from Missouri? where abouts? we're Springfield. xo Debra

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Your garden looks so pretty and I enjoyed looking at the photos. Hope you have a nice week and a Happy 4th of July.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Your lilies look wonderful! Mine aren’t quite blooming yet although the Stella D’Oro’s are. We have Queen Anne’s Lace blooming too. Your herb garden looks great and so does your sweet Sallie!