Saturday, December 7, 2013

Christmas Dollar Store Finds

I love shopping at the new Dollar General Store in our small town.  There are always new surprises there and when I read Shannon at Fox Hollow Cottage and Debbie from Debbiedoo's were hosting another challenge, I knew I'd shop there first for a frugal setting.  There are Dollar Tree stores in nearby towns, too, but I thought I'd give my Dollar General first crack.

Several weeks ago I spied these plates and mugs and thought they might make a nice modern winter setting.  Since the plates were rather small and I already have several sets of Christmas / winter dishes, I passed them up.  After reading about the Dollar Tree Christmas Challenge, an idea started to form.  Back to the store I went and purchased these two plates, the mugs and glasses, a small bottle brush tree, holiday bling and some mittens.  I had already bought these placemats on sale after the holidays last year. 


 
 
Since the plates are luncheon size, I thought I'd use them at the kitchen island. 
 

 
 


I thought the mittens were a fun way to display the flatware.  I used green napkins I already had and stuck them in the mugs.  The little village vignette was made from Dollar Tree houses.
 
 
They started this way.
 
 
 
And after spray painting them white and adding white glitter here and there, they ended up this way.
 
 
 
 
 

I really like these plates and mugs and am looking forward to using them for breakfast or lunch  You may even see them again soon in a different setting!
 
 
 
And now for another Dollar Tree sharing moment....
 
Several years ago, I was at the Dollar Tree in a neighboring town when I saw this little village.  I fell in love with it and brought it home ... all for $20!  Since then, I've added a few trees and a couple of houses I received as gifts.  The last several years it's been on top of the dining room hutch.
 
 
 
 
 
 


You just never know what treasures you'll find at dollar stores!  That's what makes shopping there such a fun adventure!!   I'm looking forward to reading about the pretty ideas you all find!


Linking to these fabulous parties
       Fox Hollow Cottage  
       Debbiedoo's
       Inspire Me Tuesday
      





5 comments:

Pat@BPM said...

All your dollar store things are fabulous! I love how you painted the village pieces.

allisamazing said...

Such a cute tablescape! Love the cutlery in the mitten - such a great idea! Your village is lovely :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh what great finds. I need to go visit the $1 store. The little village is so pretty on the cakestand and I adore the tablesetting. Usinging the mitten as a place for the utensils is just the cutest. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the plates and mugs! Cute and very festive. The mittens with the flatware are just the cutest touch! It's fun to get inspired by inexpensive items and make them look high dollar just like you've done!
hugs,
Linda

Sew Crafty Crochet said...

I love those houses! I have a few, and I'm always looking for more when it's Christmas season. The plates and mugs are cute, too!! Great dollar store finds!