I'm a member of a women's service genealogical society, the Daughters of the American Revolution. We enjoy learning about history, sharing genealogy tips and tricks and serving our communities and our country in the areas for education, patriotism and historic preservation. (Read more about our group HERE.) Sometimes we participate in festivals, parades and other community events and many of our chapter members have Colonial dresses they enjoy wearing. Making one or two has been on my "List of Many Things to Do" for sometime but I never took the time to make one. I had, of course, purchased a pattern several years ago and even found some lovely fabric. I actually found two different pieces, one is this lovely pastel! It really made my heart swoon when I saw it!I must have fancy taste because the price was rather expensive. I decided to go for it though....after all I had waited so long. As a realist, I knew my first attempt at sewing a dress in a VERY long time would not be without a lot of trouble so I also purchased another piece of fabric that was much cheaper as my 'trial dress.' It is a medium blue with tiny white flowers.
Yes, this project has been at least two years in the making. Well, this January I decided I had run out of excuses and should begin. I've worked on it, off and on the last week and a half and finally have it finished except for the detail work. It is not historically correct. (note the back zipper) It's just to have fun dressing up and play acting. Sorry I don't have a sewing form to display it properly.
As expected, there was a bit of a learning curve but I learned a lot and am pretty happy with my first attempt. I plan to start the other dress next month. I'd better go ahead and make it before I forget what alterations I made! Ha!