Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Another Thing Ticked Off the List



 I don't know about you but since I've been stuck at home during the pandemic, I have started writing out some goals for the week, the month and even part of the year.  It's oddly satisfying the mark off things as they are accomplished.  As I look at the big picture, I feel pretty happy that I've been able to complete some things I've put off for so long. 

I'm a member of a women's service genealogical society, the Daughters of the American Revolution.  We enjoy learning about history, sharing genealogy tips and tricks and serving our communities and our country in the areas for education, patriotism and historic preservation.  (Read more about our group HERE.)  Sometimes we participate in festivals, parades and other community events and many of our chapter members have Colonial dresses they enjoy wearing.  Making one or two has been on my "List of Many Things to Do" for sometime but I never took the time to make one.  I had, of course, purchased a pattern several years ago and even found some lovely fabric.  I actually found two different pieces, one is this lovely pastel!  It really made my heart swoon when I saw it!  

I must have fancy taste because the price was rather expensive.  I decided to go for it though....after all I had waited so long.  As a realist, I knew my first attempt at sewing a dress in a VERY long time would not be without a lot of trouble so I also purchased another piece of fabric that was much cheaper as my 'trial dress.'   It is a medium blue with tiny white flowers.  

Yes, this project has been at least two years in the making.  Well, this January I decided I had run out of excuses and should begin.  I've worked on it, off and on the last week and a half and finally have it finished except for the detail work.  It is not historically correct. (note the back zipper) It's just to have fun dressing up and play acting.  Sorry I don't have a sewing form to display it properly.  

A lovely lace was purchased at the same time as the fabric that will be used on the sleeves.  Unfortunately, it needs to be located!  (Yet another project!)
White netting is needed for the daytime neckline.  I've added this light gray as it is all I have on hand.  I will add a white mobcap, shawl and underskirt to complete the outfit.  I'll get those as soon as I feel comfortable shopping in-store again.


Here is the pattern and view of my dress.


As expected, there was a bit of a learning curve but I learned a lot and am pretty happy with my first attempt.  I plan to start the other dress next month.  I'd better go ahead and make it before I forget what alterations I made!  Ha!  
Maybe by that time I'll have found the lace, too!  

Our next outdoor DAR event is in March as a neighboring town celebrates it 200th anniversary.  Missouri is also celebrating it's 200th anniversary this year and our great nation's 250th birthday will be in just five years!  2026!  Do you remember when we celebrated the American Bicentennial?  Could that really be 45 years ago?!?  I'm hoping I'll get a lot of use from these dresses.  

Thanks for stopping by today!  Tell me what projects you've worked on during your time at home this past year?  It's fun to share and celebrate our accomplishments!

Hope you are staying well!
Zenda








6 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

Girl, look at you! I love it! Love it that you can sew sooooo beautifully too! I can sew enough to get by with. But....I have to be in the mood and the mood hasn't stuck me lately. LOL! You done good and that dress turned out adorable! I love it! Hugs and blessings, Cindy
P.S. Thank you for your prayers.

Kim said...

Your dress in the pretty blue and white flowery fabric is so pretty, Zenda. You did a fabulous job with the pattern. Love too, the pretty pastel print of the other fabric. I did smile when you said you had better hurry up and sew the second dress before you forget what you did. I'm a bit like that, too. How fun to be part of a group and participate in such meaningful and fun festivities.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I love the blue dress and you did a great job making it Zenda.

Joy said...

It's a stunning dress, so very attractive and I love the fabric.
xx

Curtains in My Tree said...

Oh I think your dress turned out lovely. My sister was in the DAR in Lexington however she has moved away and said her local group got way to expensive anyway.
I like your choice of the first fabric and think that would make a lovely formal type dress.
I quit sewing years ago only do curtains now for myself and repairs.

Janice

Ann said...

You are all set for your upcoming events! Beautiful job - Thank you for sharing at Party In Your PJ's.