Tuesday, February 9, 2021

A Busy Week But Nothing Really Accomplished

Have you ever had weeks like that?  I'm in the middle of several projects with nothing really finished.  Progress is being made, though, so I feel good.  I love being busy!

Here's what I've been up to -

First, the second colonial dress is cut out!  I made a different one last month as a trial run.  You can read about that here.

There were several alterations I plan to make on the new dress and one is to make the bodice a little longer.  I added a little extra length as I cut this one out.  Oh, and I'm still looking for that lovely lace to add to the sleeves.  ;)

The second project is a quilt for myself.  For several years, my DAR group has worked together to make Quilts of Valor to donate to local veterans.  I've always admired the patchwork of red, white and blue so when I saw this pattern, the Disappearing Shoo Fly, last summer I fell in love.  The fabric has been in my stash since then and, after last week, all 30 blocks are completed!  This was an easy, fast and fun project.  I hope to get the blocks set together this week.  I'm planning on a dark blue border. This should look pretty at the end of our white bedspread.

Here is what I hope it looks like when finished.  Doesn't it look summery?!

You can click on this link to watch the video from Missouri Star Quilt Company.

There is even a Bonus project from the leftover half-square triangles!  I'll be making a Red, White and Blue baby quilt to add to a silent auction basket this summer!


The final project of my week has been digitizing ALL of my paper genealogy files.  I've enjoyed delving into my family history for years and have lots of documents such as marriage licenses and bonds, tax records, birth and death records, probate and will records and even some photos.  
                     
It will be so nice to have this 'organized mess' on a jump drive that I can on genealogy adventures!  I'll probably also make a copy to keep in a safe place.

Finally, I have to share what my husband brought home today!!!  What a wonderful surprise!!  The card asks "Be My Valentine?"  
Yes!!!  I'll ALWAYS be his Valentine! 


Well, not much is finished but I'll keep you posted.  These projects are great ways to stay busy on cold wintry days.  What have you been up to lately?

I'm wishing you a very happy Valentine's Day!  


                                                        Zenda


6 comments:

Ann said...

It sounds like you've been busy! I've been working on a few blog posts and actually finished 2 projects. Your flowers are beautiful - Happy 'Early' Valentine's Day!

Kim said...

Lovely Zenda, your husband is a sweet man. Such a gorgeous bouquet of flowers. I have a plethora of pretty lace here if you want to fly in for a visit. =) Love, love, love your lovely Shoo Fly quilt. Such a pretty pattern and the red, white and blue combination always dances. How beautiful this quilt will look on your white bedspread.

Creations By Cindy said...

You've been a busy bee girl. You are so dang talented. Girl, I only wish I could sew and quilt like you do. LOVE you flowers from your Valentine. How sweet. Recovering nicely from 2nd surgery but wanted to pop in and see what you've been up too. Hope to post on blog next week. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Alycia Nichols said...

Awwww...your hubby!!!!!! I love that kind of sweetness in men! They can be gruff as a billy goat, but then...poof!💨 ❣️ I fee you on the crawl to get things done. I can’t seem to focus and commit to a single project. All over the place! It’s not cabin fever, so I dunno...🤷🏽‍♀️ Getting all of that genealogy information input...I do NOT envy you there!!!!!!! Good luck, and I hope you’re able to find that burst of whatever it is that causes one to just “get ‘er done!”

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Zenda,

In our view, it is not the completing of the projects which is really important, although it is rather good to have such a beautiful quilt to show at the end of a long process of cutting, shaping and sewing, it is more about the idea of having projects which capture the imagination and give interest to the future. Something to look forward to and a goal of achievement to always have in mind.

We share your interest in family genealogy and are constantly immersed in the websites of 'Find My Past' and 'Ancestry'. Having an unusual name helps, we find, but it is amazing what one can find out. We applaud your goal of digitising all the information you have discovered. However, we have to say that we are fascinated by the look of your paper records. There is something so intriguing about them.

The flowers. So romantic. How lovely.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Looks like some good sewing projects! I used to sew a lot but haven’t done much of anything for some time. What a pretty bouquet your hubby brought home! Wishing you a Happy Valentine’s Day!