Thursday, January 7, 2021

A Different Kind of Christmas

 I hope you were able to have blessed Christmas and New Year's Eve celebrations.  It was a bit different, I'll bet.  We were not able to host our annual Christmas gathering at our home for my side of the family or attend J's side of the family either.  Phone calls, texts and cards had to suffice

Little Jack also had a Covid exposure at his preschool right before Christmas.  He and his parents began their quarantine immediately and were tested at the appropriate time.  Fortunately their tests were negative but decided to err on the side of caution and not join us Christmas Day.  We switched presents on the doorstep one day and opened them 'together' via Zoom on another day.  I will say, technology sure made all of this a bit better!  

We had snacks for lunch including deer meatballs, veggies and dip  and a charcuterie platter.  Our son and his girlfriend and my dear mother-in-law joined us in person.


We were able to post them on our television so they were almost life-sized!

They called later that evening while we were playing cards and we were able to visit again!  Jack loved his new toys!!  


J and I normally go out for New Year's Eve lunch then stop by a grocery or seafood store and pick up something to prepare for our evening meal.  We had to plan ahead this year as we are not making many trips to the store these days.

The day was pretty nice so we enjoyed our outdoor fireplace as J grilled on the back porch.

I set a table with some festive tableware.



We started with shrimp bisque


then enjoyed sharing ribeye steak, scallops, fettuccine and a salad.


For dessert we had creme brûlée.  
(While reorganizing the pantry, I found a box of this!  
Not quite instant but very easy and pretty good!)

We had some nasty weather New Year's Eve night and we were both very happy to be warm and cozy in our comfy clothes watching TV!

I hope your Christmas this year was blessed and that you were able to create some special memories!  Things may have been a bit different but the reason we celebrate remained the same!  

Wishing you many blessings in the new year!

Zenda


4 comments:

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I'm glad you had a nice Christmas and NYE! It's great that we can facetime and do zoom to connect with family. Thanks for the blog visit and wishing you a happy new year.

Kim said...

Even though Christmas and New Year's is different in these days, isn't it wonderful what we can do with technology. I suppose, with the unknown of tomorrow this is our new normal. Happy times via zoom and other such apps. Your New Year's lunch sounds delicious and oh how pretty your tablescape is. Zenda, I wouldn't mind sitting in front of that fire outside warming the cockles of my heart. You are so right in that, no matter which way we celebrate Christmas Day, the reason is always the same. Thinking of you my lovely friend at this time. Sending you an armful of hugs. Xx

Rosie M. said...

It sounds like your Holidays were very special during such a difficult time. I'm glad for you both. Loved your decorations, and your dinner made my mouth water! Here's to a Happy and Healthy 2021!
Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

Creations By Cindy said...

I am so glad that you got to spend Christmas with some of your loved ones at least. Praise the Lord for that. Your table setting is beautiful and what a feast you had! I love everything about this post Zenda. Little Jack I am sure enjoyed his Christmas and will have many days coming to spend with you too. Hope you have a wonderful week dear lady. Hugs and blessings, Cindy