Friday, March 14, 2014

Spring Pea and Mint Pesto

When I first read this recipe, I was intrigued by the combination of ingredients. They come together deliciously is this fresh tasting crostini spread!  I think I first made these for our Friday Night Specials later in the spring because I remember using my own mint.  It hasn't recovered from our long winter yet but wanted to share this recipe in March because of it's bright green color.  Enjoy!


 
 
 
For the Pesto

  • 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, defrosted
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
  • 1/3 cup olive oil

  •  
    For the Crostini:
  • Whole-grain baguette or ciabatta bread, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 8 cherry tomatoes, halved or 1 small tomato, diced, optional

  • Directions
    For the pea pesto: 
    Add the peas, Parmesan, garlic, fresh mint, and salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse to combine. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil until well combined, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
     
    For the crostini:
    Preheat a stovetop griddle or grill pan on medium-high heat. Brush both sides of the bread with olive oil and grill until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes.
    Transfer the bread to a clean surface and spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of the prepared pesto on each slice. If you want, top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or tomato halves and transfer to a serving platter before serving.

    Enjoy with a nice glass of white wine!
     
     
    This recipe from Giada De Laurentiis


    Linking to:

    Foodie Friday
    Submarine Sunday
     
     
     

    6 comments:

    Carolina HeartStrings said...

    That looks delicious. Definitely a recipe I am going to try. Thanks for sharing.

    Shortbread and Ginger said...

    Hmm - interesting recipe and wonderful colour!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    My Garden Diaries said...

    OH YUM!!! This does sound and look so refreshing and delicious!!! And I am soooo ready for the spring!!! I just can't wait anymore!!! Happy weekend to you! Nicole xoxo

    FABBY'S LIVING said...

    This récipe looks awesome, I adore pesto. Will copy it, thanks for sharing.
    I am flattered you baked mother's bread, I'd like to know if it came out fine and did you like it?
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    trishie said...

    What a beautiful bright green! I bet it tastes delicious too. I've not tried mint pesto before, only with oregano and basil. I'd love to though!

    Julie's Lifestyle said...

    Hi and thanks so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave the nice comment about the pastry and my dog Bosco. Your recipe for pesto looks so good! TFS and have a wonderful week!
    Julie at Julie's Lifestyle