Monday, June 9, 2014

Beer Tasting at Book Club!

Last week I hosted our monthly book club.  The book we discussed was Bitter Brew by William Knoedelseder.   It chronicles the rise and fall of the Busch beer dynasty in St. Louis, Missouri.  Since most of us grew up in the St. Louis area, we thought it would be a good read. 




Normally, the hostess provides some munchies and wine during the discussion.  Since we were talking about the Anheuser-Busch company (now AB Inbev) I decided to serve those little flavored margaritas from AB. 



We had a lively discussion about Gussie, the baseball Cardinals and the circumstances that eventually lead to the InBev take over. 

 
If you're familiar with the Anheuser-Busch/InBev Company you know they have a wide variety of beer products.  I thought it'd be fun to do a Taste Test of several of these different beers.


 I set up my supplies, including a tote to hold my sample beers (check out those 25 oz. cans!), beer glasses, water pitcher and a dump bucket to rinse our glasses between samples.


 I love this little tote I found at Tractor Supply.  It usually holds mason jars or wine bottles.  It also does a surprisingly great job with large beer cans!



 I found these beer glasses for $1 each at Wal-Mart.  Displaying them on one of my silver-plate trays classed them up a bit, don't you think?  After all, we're a bunch of classy ladies!


 
 After sampling seven varieties, none of us could agree on a favorite.  Each of us preferred a different one, and a couple had SEVERAL favorites!!  Personally, I guess my choice was good old Budweiser, although I REALLY like those little fruit-flavored margaritas!!  :)

 
I also served individual Berry Tarts with Lemon Cookie Crusts.  I put them together after our Taste Test and forgot to take a picture.  Here's the leftover.  Wonderful Hubby got to take it to work the next day.

 
 The recipe is here.  They were really good and can be made as one large tart or individual tarts.  Once you bake off the cookie crusts and stir up the cream cheese and Greek yogurt filling, assembly is quick and easy.  Add the berries of your choice.  I planned on serving these with red raspberries but couldn't find that day.


 
We had a great night talking about this book, sampling some great AB beer and visiting together!  I love my book club buddies!!

 
What book have you read recently? 



Sharing at these parties:

Submarine Sunday

Amaze Me Monday

Tuesdays at Our House

Your Gonna Love It Tuesday

Share Your Cup Thursday

Home Sweet Home

Fridays Unfolded

Foodie Friday





3 comments:

My Garden Diaries said...

This sounds like the most fun ever!!! And yes your tray totally dresses up those glasses you scored! What a clever idea to go along with the book! And your little metal carrier is awesome! Sorry I am a bit behind in reading...we had a very busy weekend here and I am just getting caught up! This was such a delightful post friend! You have given me some ideas for my next girls night! Happy week to you! Nicole xoxo

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

The tasting went along perfectly with your book. I started a book on my kindle a couple months ago. I've been so darn busy that I haven't even gotten back to it. Tarts are one of my favorite desserts! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

The Charm of Home said...

This is delightful! It would go over really good around here!