Monday, February 12, 2018

Antiquing For My Birthday

I recently celebrated my birthday and my wonderful husband took me to Hannibal, Missouri to eat and do a little antique shopping.  I really didn't have anything in mind.  It was just nice to spend a relaxing afternoon together looking through old shops and reminiscing.

We did find two little treasures we brought home.  The first I found at our first stop.  Five little cups and saucers in a bright blue and orange luster ware pattern were sitting right at the front of the shop.  These little gems caught my eye the moment I walked in the door!
It just so happens that many years ago, my mother was gifted a tea set very similar to these by two older friends of an aunt.  Mother never used them but they held a special place in her heart.  I've seen a few variations of this pattern over the years and when I came across these little cups and saucers, I couldn't resist.  (Plus they were half price!)
When I got home and compared them to the original set, I noticed there is a difference but think they go well together.  I also noticed I'm missing the sugar bowl and another cup.  Well, the search will continue!!

Here are some photos of the set in the kitchen and in their new home, Granny Clark's pie safe.  We've set it up in our bedroom and I enjoy seeing my family treasures there.
Mother's set has a teapot, creamer, six small plates, six saucers and five cups.  Each have blue exteriors and orange insides.  They are labeled "Made in Japan."
My new pieces have the same blue and orange colors but the exterior shows both colors while the interior is an iridescent white.
The second treasure we found was one we both loved the moment we saw it.  The proprietor said it was Phoenix Glass and probably made sometime in the 1980's.
It has a lovely iridescent sheen and I knew exactly where I'd like to display it.  We didn't buy it right then but came back later in the afternoon.  Nothing came close to it in our hearts.  It's so nice to choose something special together.  Not only do we have a beautiful piece of art glass for our home but we also have a special memory of our day together!
It sit on one of our shelves in the great room near my grandmother's molasses jar.  Two Peter's Pottery pitchers are displayed on the shelf below.  They were gifts last year from our two kids.  These pitchers are wonderful for keeping beverages cool!

We had a fun time antiquing together but an ice storm cut our celebrating a bit short.  After spending the day, we headed back home with our treasures and happy memories.

Thanks for stopping by!

                                       Zenda


Linking to: 
   Make It Pretty Monday
   Amaze Me Monday
  Tuesdays At Our Home
  Share Your Style
  Share Your Cup
  Dishing It and Digging It
  Sweet Inspirations Party

13 comments:

Charla said...

It sounds like a wonderful day! Love your treasures!

Sylvia said...

I think they are beautiful and goes great together!

Shannon@Belle Bleu Interiors said...

Happy Birthday, Zenda! What beautiful treasures you found and wonderful memories to go with them! I am swooning over that gorgeous tea set, and I think it goes perfect with your other pieces. Take care, and enjoy your day!

xinex said...

How pretty! Great finds! Happy birthday!....Christine

Pam Richardson said...

Happy birthday, Zenda. What a special day that you and the hubby enjoyed. I love your pretty treasures!

Jacqueline said...

Happy birthday! The blue of those cups and saucers are just amazing. I haven't seen anything quite like that color before. Sounds like you had the perfect day!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday! I haven’t been to Hannibal in years, no, decades. It’s only about an hour from May, so there’s no excuse not to go, and now that I’ve seen your fabulous finds, I am champing at the bit to take a trip out there. Everything is just lovely! Happy Valentine’s Day.

Kim said...

Happy Birthday to you, lovely Zenda. The special day spent with your husband made all the more perfect with those gorgeous purchases. The teacups are lovely aren't they. They look perfect together with your mother's tea set. I love the luster of these pretties. The Phoenix Glass vase is gorgeous, too. It is always the best fun to go antiquing and unearth treasures such as yours.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Happy Birthday Zelda. Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate your special day. The China is lovely. They all blend together beautifully.. I hope you use them. Happy Valentine’s Day.

Creations By Cindy said...

Happy birthday sweet lady and friend. What a great way to celebrate your special day! LOVE those teacups and they go perfect with your mother's tea set! Melted my old heart! Isn't it funny at how you found those darling tea cups that matched so well. Only God could do that for you. Happy Birthday. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Alycia Nichols said...

Well, doggone it...Happy Belated Birthday!!! Now that you’re old enough to drink, have one for me!😉 I was trying to think of the term “luster ware” just last week! Thank you for easing my troubled mind!!! Now if I could only remember WHY I was trying to think of the name!!!😆

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

How fun! I love to get out with Dan and do stuff like that. I think your new acquisitions look great with your mother’s pieces. Happy Belated Birthday wishes!

Zaa said...

Happy Belated Birthday .... Your mother’s teaset is so beautiful...Many of the Made in Japan item are now" priceless treasures"... I love that lustre finish ...and how lucky to find plates that match with them ...It sounds like you had the perfect day ... Thanks for sharing ...Hugs