Monday, May 31, 2021

The Beginning of Summer

This year is so different that last year!  We are starting to emerge from our little 'bubbles' and see and visit with friends and neighbors.  We can see each others' smiles and give a few hugs.  We are even starting to feel more comfortable attending events again!  

Of course, there is always gardening to keep me busy at home, so let's start there.

This basket of calibrachoa (million bells) sits on my rain barrel.
Heuchera, or as my mom called them, corral bells
I have several varieties of clematis blooming now.



The hydrangea in the front is full of bloom.  
I have several of this deep purple salvia in the front berm.  They have really grown in the three years I've had them.  They come back every year.

The wild white yarrow has spread from last year.  I'm thinking of moving some it to create a new bed.  Hope it does as well there!  

I'm experimenting with a new color of yarrow.  I found this pink variety at the garden center.  It should look nice with all of the pinks, purples and white in this bed.


Here are a few photos of my raised beds.  The lettuce , cabbage (dusted with seven dust), and the peas are all doing quite well!  We are enjoying lots of salads and looking forward to cabbage/slaw and fresh peas!

(Please disregard the grass.  LOL!  The cabbages are in my asparagus bed.  The asparagus is new so I don't want to disturb them too much.)

Several members of our DAR chapter attended a Memorial Day service at an old cemetery in St. Louis County, Cold Water Cemetery.  It's surprising there is a wooded and rustic spot in the middle of a metropolitan area.  
This was originally a family cemetery that now serves as the resting place of 29 veterans of nine wars.  Several DAR members are also buried there.
It was a lovely service with a colorful color guard and bagpiper.  The guest speaker shared poignant thoughts about things our veterans and their families deal with as they serve our country.

Wishing you all a blessed week and a very happy beginning of summer!

Happy Memorial Day!

Zenda









7 comments:

Kim said...

Lovely Zenda, your garden is as pretty as a picture. Love all those pretty pink flowers. As for your hydrangeas...just wow! So many gorgeous blooms. You have a lot of clematis. In a couple of seasons they will be trailing everywhere....how wonderful. Your Memorial Day service, tucked away in that lovely spot, looks poignant and moving. Hoping you enjoy your Memorial Day, lovely lady.

Alycia Nichols said...

What a lovely ceremony to commemorate lives lost, sacrifices made. It was always deeply touches me.😔

Your yard is BOUNTEOUS!!! I wish I had that green thumb. I just throw some stuff out there and say a prayer over it.🙏🏽 My intentions are all good in May, but by the time July’s humid heat sets in...no way I’m suffocating out there to feed and water!🤣🤣🤣

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Your flowers and the veggie garden look wonderful. I hope you have a lovely June Zenda.

Creations By Cindy said...

Awe Zenda, your garden is beautiful! WOW! You surely are the Master Gardener! I hope your Memorial Day was wonderful. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Rajani Rehana said...

Fabulous post

Bernideen said...

Your garden really looks lovely and what an array of vegetables in those raised beds!

Rajani Rehana said...

Your blog is amazing ��