Monday, September 2, 2013

Nearing the End of Summer


It seemed when the calendar changed to September and Labor Day was here, I immediately thought of fall.  The truth is that around here, September is a pretty warm month ... almost as if it were still summer.  I remember, as a teacher, I used to have many a sweater and sweatshirt with a fall theme.  I could never wear them until October/November because it was always too warm in September! 

Well, I've purged my closets of those things.  I've decided to enjoy summer a bit longer!  That includes wearing shorts, sunglasses and, yes, WHITE attire! 


But enough of that!


Even with blistering temperatures last week, the garden still amazed me this morning! 


 


Kale, okra, peppers, tomatoes, a cucumber and parsley!!



We don't have a big vegetable garden but the green beans and tomatoes have done very well.  The last two weeks it has really kept me busy!  After eating and sharing all we could, I started canning.  This is the first year I have had this many beans.  I've just put 54 quarts and 5 pints on the shelves in the basement! 



I also canned some stewed tomatoes and froze marinara sauce.  I'm very happy to have these for winter but am also glad this part of my summer is over...

I hope!  Think I'll have to pick again this evening!

 
 
 
 
 I also wanted to show off my mailbox clematis!  When the kids were young, after seeing it, one of their friends asked what was EATING our mailbox?!  To be honest, I'm not exactly sure which variety it is but it certainly is healthy and quite heat and drought tolerant!
 



 
 
 

 Just a few photos of the beautiful blooms!



 

 

 

 
 
 
If you know which variety it is, please let me know. 
 



Who could pull these little Morning Glories?  I know many consider them weeds but think how hard they've tried to survive through that thick mass of clematis vines!  And then, there they are; adding a gentle pop of color, just those two!  I had to leave them!  Wouldn't you?



Thanks for sharing my Amazing Monday!   I'm hoping you have a wonderful week!!
 
 
Linking to:
 
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

Julie Nichols said...

Amazing how you canned all those beans! How nice it will be in the winter to enjoy them. Your flower pictures are beautiful!!

My Garden Diaries said...

I think it is autumn clematis??? It is beautiful as are your fresh veggies!!! And boy do I wish I knew how to can!!! It is warm here in Chicago too...you have the right attitude...embracing summer a bit longer though I just long for cooler days!!! Have a great week!!!

Indrani said...

A good harvest, very pleasant sight!

JO said...

love your flowers! thanks for visiting my blog.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What wonderful veggies...nothing tastes better than fresh! And your mailbox is amazing. It's something I would probably take a photo of out my car window....to blog about of course! heehee!