Thursday, May 29, 2014

A New Butterfly Garden


I'll admit it, when it came to gardening - up to about a year ago, I was a "Sticker."  Yep, if I'd see a plant I thought was pretty, I'd buy it, then "stick" it somewhere in my yard without much planning.  

I really wasn't very satisfied with my flower beds and knew this planting habit was to blame.  When I took the Core Training classes for our local Master Gardener program, one of the first presentations was on Planning Your Garden.  They made us draw out our property, including buildings and driveways.  They discussed shady and sunny areas, plant color and heights and soil types.  Oh my, so much to consider!!  

I stuck with it, though.  The two ladies in my group and I worked together to give each other suggestions or reminders and, at the end of the evening, we all had what looked like pretty good plans.  I realized that once I had a plan, all I had to do was purchase just those plants.  How easy is that?

I've since given this concept a chance in a couple of my new flower beds and have found it to really be helpful ... and successful!!  


Peonies love the sun.











My new project this year was a butterfly garden in our backyard.  Wonderful Hubby was given a small dogwood years ago from a man he worked with.  We planted it with hopes it would grow to about 12 - 15 feet.  Unfortunately, this particular tree ended up short with unruly limbs that requires a lot of trimming. I had planted several Knock-Out Roses under the tree and, after several years, you couldn't tell where the roses ended and the tree began. When I trimmed my other Knock-Outs this February, WH and I pulled these overgrown monsters out. I made plans to replace them with flowers that would attract butterflies and hummingbirds.



Candytuft, Dianthus, Angelonia, Lantana, Alyssum


 











After we pulled up those Knock-outs, I found a tea rose and a mini rose that had gotten lost under those big brutes.  They're actually thriving now!



I can see this little flower bed out my kitchen window and the last two days I've seen several butterflies flitting about in it!!  YEA!!  I haven't gotten any pictures yet but hopefully I will soon. 


My vegetable garden is growing too!  Today, I harvested some radishes, kale and salad greens!










Don't you just love spring?   I can't wait to see what's growing in your gardens. Thanks for stopping by!



Linking to these great parties:

     Fishtale Cottage: Garden Party
     The Charm of Home:  Home Sweet Home
     Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson: Share Your Cup Thursday
     Our Home Away From Home: Tuesdays at Our House
     Creative Country Mom's Garden: Home Sweet Garden
   

9 comments:

My Garden Diaries said...

I love the part of this post where you said you planned it and then all you had to do was buy those plants....yes that does make it easy! Ha! Why do we make it so hard on ourselves! Your peony blooms are beautiful and the new butterfly garden is so pretty filled with all of that color! Your property blows me away! What a fantastic garden you have and your veggies look delicious! I should try to grow some radishes! Happy weekend to you friend! And happy gardening! Nicole xo

Unknown said...

I think I'm a bit of a sticker too! But I do sort of plan what's going into a particular section, but that could change if something catches my eye.

Thanks for visiting my little blog project and leaving such a nice comment.☺

Creations By Cindy said...

Awe...love your garden. It is just simple pleasure to have a little garden isn't it? I am picking tomatoes and peppers from my garden and fixing to have some squash! Happy Weekend. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Tea in the Library said...

I purchased my 1st knock out rose today! Your garden looks lovely.

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Beautiful garden! I need to take a course, because I am definitely a "sticker!" Wanted to let you know that I am doing a little feature on everyone who participated in my "Show Us Your April" party - it should be out tomorrow. I'd like to mention your first name, if you wouldn't mind telling me what it is (I can't find it on your blog). Thanks again for your April photo diary!

Fishtail Cottage said...

Your butterfly garden is quite perfect! I can just imagine what it will look like as the summer progresses! thanks for linking up your post to Fishtail cottage's garden party this week - I look forward to seeing you again & again. oxox, tracie

CIELO said...

I enjoyed seeing all those pics of your lovely garden... what a lovely place indeed.

Here from Fishtail Cottage Garden Party.

Cielo

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Must admit, I am kind of a sticker. Do try to think ahead and imagine what it will look like in a few years. Love your new garden! You will have so much fun watching the pretty butterflies. I planted Kale along my front porch. Thought I had bought ornamental. It still looks pretty, but is large and I need to harvest some. What do you do with yours? Anything other than make a salad? Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

The Charm of Home said...

Your butterfly garden is delightful!
Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
Sherry