Thursday, May 28, 2015

News From the Garden

Life's been keeping me happily busy these days but I need to get back into the blogging mode.  Here's what's been happening in my life lately.

The flower beds.
The dark pink peonies have been blooming and what a treat! 
My pale pink ones are just starting to open.
 
The irises have been pretty, too.  This is an old fashioned kind my mom shared from her garden years ago.  I always smile when they bloom.  They are a wonderful reminder of her.  She had an incredible green thumb. 
Wish I had a bit more of that special trait!
She wouldn't have like these, though.  She did NOT like the color yellow but I do.  These have just finished blooming. 

I don't have very many tea roses but two are blooming. 
This is one Mom would have LOVED!  Pink was her color! 
This pale pink rose bush is one Wonderful Hubby bought me years ago. 
I just love the delicate color!

The clematis have been trying to outdo each other.  I've planted several different varieties together and the color combination is so pretty.
 
These little alliums are a new addition and are a bit smaller than I hoped for.  They are pretty, though.
 
The vegetable garden is planted and coming along nicely.  I'm trying a few new beans and some new gardening techniques I've learned about through my Master Gardener group.  I'll write a post about that garden soon. 
 
Favorite Son is doing a summer internship in Pennsylvania and my Dear MIL went with me last week to take out some of his things (golf clubs, guitar-you know, things he can't live without!)  It also gave us some peace of mind seeing his new surroundings.  He's in the heart of Amish country, Lancaster County!  He's staying with a wonderful family and has his own little 'suite' in the country.  I think he's going to like it.  Wonderful Hubby and I will go back just before he comes home to bring his things back and let Dad get a chance to see where he's been working. 
 
During this first visit, which was over Memorial Day, Fav Son wanted to visit Gettysburg.  I took some pictures that I'll share closer to the 4th of July but here is a flowering hawthorn, Missouri's state flower.
Our front porch was in full bloom when we returned!
One of our Border Collies, Sallie, said she watered all the flowers for me but I think it was Wonderful Hubby who actually kept them well hydrated!
Sallie and her dad, Champ.
 
The chicks have grown up!!  They won't stay in their pen anymore and have become fixtures in the yard and gardens.  I was hoping for all hens but I strongly suspect I have two roosters.
 This fellow is one of them.  I don't mind them being assertive but we may have to make some decisions if they develop too much attitude!
 
My tiny violet has finally bloomed!  One of our garden club members showed us how to propagate them about eight month ago and I think this little guy is going to make it!!
 
I just talked to Precious Daughter and she's planning to come home for a visit!!  It will be SO good to see her!
 
Thanks for stopping by!  I'm going to try to get back into a weekly blogging habit.  I really enjoy it and it's such an easy way to 'scrapbook'
our newly retired life! 
Hope you all have a great weekend!
 
Zenda
 
 
Linking to:
 
 


8 comments:

My Garden Diaries said...

Hi Zenda!!! I loved seeing all of your beautiful blooms friend! Your clematis is stunning! And your peonies are beautiful!!! Im glad you were able to see where you son is staying while on his internship! I hope his time there is filled with great experiences!!! And your front porch....what a dream! It is gorgeous!!! Now on to your chickens! They are so big now!!! Let us know how the rooster bit goes for you if it turns out you have 2! They are so cute in that photo!!! Wishing you an awesome weekend in the garden my friend....enjoy your time with your daughter! Nicole xo

Kim said...

Your garden is full of life and so many gorgeous colors...blooms, birds and dogs! Fabulous!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Your garden certainly is gorgeous! So many beautiful flowers. I enjoyed ever single photo! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Karen @ karensuponthehill said...

What an absolutely beautiful garden! You have so many lovely things blooming! Those dogs and chickens are just wondeful too!
Thank you so very much for sharing this lovely post at Something to Talk About!
Karen

trishie said...

So many beauties from your garden. I do love peonies and roses. Your chickens look so pretty with the stripey feathers

Stitchin At Home said...

You have so many beautiful flowers! Those peonies are pretty. I have a red tree peony.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Two favorite flowers, well maybe three-roses, hydrangeas and the beloved peony!
Thank you for your visit, I am looking forward to updates on your journey too!
Jemma

barbara woods said...

We are retired and love it