Sunday, January 30, 2022

Winter Doldrums

Hello, blog friends!  I hope you are enjoying January.  It has been cold in my neighborhood and I'm happy to stay inside and sew in my craft room.  I had a goal of finishing up 24 of the tri-fold notepad covers and 20 bowl cozies for our craft group to sell this next year.  I slightly surpassed those goals ending up with 25 tri-folds and 22 cozies!  Two things ticked off of my yearly goal list!


Do you set goals for the year?  I started doing this a couple of years ago to hold myself accountable for accomplishing things I really wanted to do once I retired.  I found myself putting things off, then never getting around to doing them.  As a former teacher, goal-setting was something I was accustomed to so I decided to incorporate it into my retired life.  It has made a big difference in how I use my time now and I really feel I am more productive!  Of course, since I'm retired, I only add things I WANT to do to my yearly goals but they really help me stay focused and happily busy!  It's also helped me create new positive habits, such as keeping in touch with family and friends, traveling and learning new skills .  

Another goal I have for this year is to complete an online genealogy course.  I've completed 2 of the 8 lessons so far and I'm enjoying learning to stay more focused on my research.  I'm also planning to purchase a new genealogy software program for my Mac laptop so I'll be doing some reading about all the different options available.  I use Ancestry and FamilySearch online programs but need something for this new computer.

Also, my son and his fiance' gave me a Cricut machine for Christmas.  She has helped me create a couple of cards with it but am looking forward to learning to creating other things, too.  Do you have one of these machines?  If you do, what fun projects have you done??


Finally, I hope to make 2 quilts this year.  One will be for our son and future daughter-in-law.  It will be a picnic size so I can add it to a picnic basket for their wedding.  Jamie wants something in blue so I'll be working on that soon.  I'm thinking of a simple half-square triangle herringbone pattern.  What do you think?  Any other ideas?  


Let me share just a few beautiful sunsets we've been blessed with this past week!  It seems wintertime brings the most vivid sunrises and sunsets.



Wishing you a warm and cozy week doing some of your favorite things!

                                                                                    Zenda

4 comments:

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I enjoyed reading about some of the goals you have for this year. It will be nice to work on the quilt and I bet it will turn out wonderful. I enjoyed looking at those pretty winter scenes. I hope you have a nice week Zenda.

Creations By Cindy said...

Girl, you have been busy for sure and setting goals and making them is wonderful. I am working on that! LOL! I looked into a Cricket once. I may revisit that idea now that I am retired! Looks like you've had some winter going on there for sure. A white frost on the ground in my neck of the woods is called Florida snow. LOL! Happy February sweet lady. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Shannon @ Belle Bleu Interiors said...

Zenda, I enjoyed reading about what all you have been up to. I think it is a wonderful idea to set goals for the year. The idea you shared about writing them down would be really helpful. It seems like I get so busy, and this would keep me on track. The sunset you shared is absolutely breathtaking. Winter sunrises and sunsets are the prettiest! Wishing you a wonderful week ahead, sweet friend!

Ann said...

You've sure been busy, my friend! Trust me, you will LOVE your new Maker. Just jump in and try some projects on Design Space. I've made cards, shirts, aprons, mugs.....so many possibilities!!